Fences can enhance your property, especially if you choose a light, beautiful wooden fence. Unfortunately, no excellent wood remains the same forever, and it will eventually surrender to rot. Instead of replacing the entire fence, you can wash the fence. We will discuss how to fix a dirty or greyed-out wooden fence.
What Causes the Stain on My Fence?
There are various causes for the dirtiness on your fence, such as:
- Dirt or debris caused by mud or soil coated on over the years.
- Mold or mildew is most common in wet or frequently rainy areas.
- Green Algae is caused by flooding zones and places where it doesn’t receive direct sunlight, like behind trees.
- Water stains are caused by high minerals or iron in your sprinkler that hits your wooden fence.
How Do I Fix the Stain?
There are several ways to fix the stain (from gentlest to aggressive)
- Garden Hose – It’s not the most environmentally powerful option, but it’s the most peaceful solution. It won’t work on your fence if it is entirely greyed out.
- Eco-Friendly Cleaners – This is a good option if you have pets or children often occupying your yard. Harsh cleaning chemicals will damage your fence and the greenery surrounding it.
- Bleach – This method can clean mold, mildew, water stains, and rust stains and restore the wood’s original appearance, but it can ruin your plants or yourself. Don’t allow the bleach to sit too long on the fence, as this will discolor or damage it.
How do I Use a Pressure Washer?
Use a pressure washer, not a power washer. The power washer releases heat suitable for concrete. If you don’t use a pressure washer with care, you can damage your wooden fence. To ensure you don’t use too much pressure, use a psi (pounds per square inch) of between 1,500 and 2,000 and a 25-degree spray tip. The pressure washer will remove a layer of the wooden fence (the grey stuff), so you can see the fresh wood underneath.
It’s important to know that this process can take some time. If the color doesn’t change after spraying it once, don’t spray it anymore. Excessive spraying can further eliminate more layers of the wood, leading to permanent fence damage. Remember to take safety precautions and wear safety glasses to avoid wood flakes from flying into your eyes.
Choose Hercules Fence Northern Virginia for All of Your Fencing Needs!
Hercules Fence Northern Virginia has countless fencing options for your home and commercial property. Whether you are excited about a beautiful vinyl chain link fence or already planning out your custom wood commercial fence, we are ready to help you frame and secure your property. Hercules Fence Northern Virginia has been providing homeowners with quality fences for over 50 years. We are well equipped to meet your needs, whether they are residential or commercial. Contact us to see how a beautiful wood fence can protect your property by giving us a call at 703-551-2609 or visiting us online. To see examples of our work, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Flickr.